Clearwater lies due west of Tampa and northwest of St. Petersburg in Pinellas County, Florida and is the smallest of the three major cities that make up what is known as the Tampa Bay Area.
The original residents of this geographical area were the Tocobaga people of Native American decent. During the Seminole Wars of the early 1800s, the Army built Fort Harrison on a bluff that overlooked Clearwater Harbor. The area later became part of a residential development called Harbor Oaks.
In the mid 1800s after much of the area’s land had been claimed and developed for farming by early settlers, the area became known as Clearwater Bay. The first road to join Clearwater with Tampa was built in 1849