Benson, Arizona lies 45 miles east-southeast of the city of Tucson. It was established in 1880 when the Southern Pacific Railroad decided to route one of their southern lines through the area. The city was named for a friend of the railroad’s president, Judges William B. Benson.
Though the city wasn’t founded unltil the late 1800’s, Spanish missionaries established a mission in the area in the late 1600’s. Native Americans made their homes along the San Pedro River for hundreds of years and the area was a favorite hide-a-way for both Cochise and Geronimo when they were being sought by the US Military.
Benson is perhaps most popular as a jumping off point for Kartchner Caverns State Park. The park